Thursday, March 31, 2011

Meet March's Mina Maven Alexa Galan


1.) How did you like growing up in Miami?

I absolutely loved growing up in Miami. Beaches, sunshine and shopping- oh my!

2.) Who are some woman that have inspired your wardrobe?

Grace Kelly is my style icon: classic beauty meets timeless glamour.

3.) What do you like most about shopping at Mina Miami Beach?

The jewelry and custom-made accessories are hands down my favorite part about shopping at Mina. Not only are they one of a kind, but they are stunning too!

4.) We here you are a published author. Tell us a little about that?

I recently wrote two children’s books, Team Blue Devils and Best Spot in the Gardens. They were inspired by my experiences at Duke and intended to reflect the Blue Devil way of life. It has been such an exciting experience for me and I’m looking forward to see what the future holds. Author by day, fashionista by night. I could get used to that J


5.) Tell us about you academic accomplishments.

I’m currently a junior at Duke University where I am studying Psychology and Political Science. I spend way too much time in the library in hopes that one day I will have actual academic accomplishments to brag about. Until then, all I have to show for myself is are a lot of textbooks and countless all-nighters in the library.

6.) Do you and your sister borrow/share clothes?

My younger sister Andrea could not be more different than me, especially when it comes to fashion and style! Whereas my sister rocks Nike Dunks and a leather jacket on a daily basis, I prefer stilettos and bombshell dresses. With that being said, every now and then, it’s fun to abandon the glitter and sequins and channel my inner hipster.


7.) How has college life been treating you?

Not to be cliché, but I study hard and party harder. They call it the best four years of your life for a reason!

8.) We know you have recently been studying abroad. Do you see a drastic difference in trends and style and if so has it affected your style?

For Europeans, fashion is a way of life. While I was living in Barcelona, I was amazed at how the women brought the runway to the street so effortlessly, Not only were they so put together, but they were so trendy and innovative with their clothes. Since my return to America, I just can’t look at a pair of sweatpants the same. Whoever said pain is beauty, was definitely from Europe. I’m fairly positive that they don’t even sell sweatpants abroad!


9.) Tell us a random fact about yourself?

I sleep in tube socks every night. Don’t ask me why, I just do.

10.) What's your relationship status?

Very single.

12.) If you could give advice to young ladies today what would it be?

Always put your best foot forward and ideally, do so in beautiful shoes.


13.) Tell me a little about any accomplishments you have done outside of academics?

I recently was admitted to the Duke Engage in Washington D.C. program for this upcoming summer. I will be working for Rock the Vote, a non-profit whose mission is to empower the youth of America to get involved in the political arena.

14.) Anything you are particularly proud of?  

My family. Not only is my family so successful and driven in terms of their careers, but they are the most generous and giving people a girl could ask for. From fashion advice to life advice, my family are the first people I go to.

15.) Has it been difficult living away from your family?

It’s really tough sometimes, especially when I’m craving a good cafĂ© con leche (good coffee is really hard to come by up at school). It’s easy to keep in touch, but there is no place like home with the family!

16.) What is the one item in your closet that you can’t live without?

 My black patent leather peep-toe pumps, they’re so classic and go with everything! 

15 comments:

  1. Great interview! She looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mina always finding these hometown hotties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this girl, and a great write up :) Congrats to Mina

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can someone become a Mina Maven?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the part about not selling sweat pants abroad, lol. Sounds like fun traveling and studying and picking up fashion tips.... Maybe I should study abroad. hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interested on become the next Mina Maven do you or someone you know have the charm,style and personality. Please send us an e-mail to www.MinaMiamiBeach@gmail.com with your inquiries. xoxo Mina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another Marvelous Mina Maven! Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sexyyyyyy! Great pics, perfect style. Thanks for sharing Mina.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect choice! Alexa seems awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Mina Maven!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alexa you are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Alexa! Could you possibly be the Alexa I knew almost 8 years ago? It doesn't seem possible, you look so different and your all grown up. Your beautiful and have accomplished so much. If you're the Alexa I knew, I wrote you on Instagram. Please contact me as soon as you can, okay? I want to visit you, your sister, step mom and dad! xoxo

    ReplyDelete