Monday, February 6, 2012

February Mina Maven Loredana Despot


1. Tell us a little bit of your background. Where did you grow up?
I grew up in Zagreb, the capital city of Croatia.  I was raised by my mom, an elementary school teacher, and my dad who was in the restaurant business for many years.  I have 1 older sister who is an architect. And last but not least, a pretty awesome cat that we've had for years but have never given an official name :) Throughout my childhood, I was trained to be a professional, synchronized swimmer.  Eventually, I gave up sports and decided that I wanted to go to law school.  Now I'm in my second year and I've got 3 more years to go!


2.  What are you doing in Miami?
I've been traveling back and forth in-between my law school exams ever since I took my first trip to the States this past summer.  My boyfriend has a home in Miami and I just love it down here.  It's also an amazing refuge from the cold Croatian winters.


3.  You only started traveling to the states since last summer?  How did you pick up english so quickly?
While my mom would like to take credit for it, the truth is, I actually learned the most from watching the Cartoon Network as a child.  True story :)  Our education system holds language at a relatively high level of importance, so I also studied Spanish, and French.  But most Croatians speak English as a second language, especially in the major tourist locations around the country. 

4.  I've heard Croatia actually has gorgeous beaches and that it's a pretty hot destination for a lot of Europeans… Have you found any similarities between there and Miami?
Well, Zagreb is a bit further inland, but it's an incredibly young and social city.  Like Miami, the nightlife is always exciting and of course, very European.  Split is a pretty sexy destination like Miami as well.  The water is gorgeous and the town frequently hosts events similar to WMC.  Believe it or not, we get many of the same DJ's that play Miami, in Croatia also.


5.  So what do you like to do when you're not studying for law school?
Zagreb is a very close knit city.  We spend a lot of time with friends and family at local coffee shops, drinking and socializing throughout the day.  It's not uncommon to spend 4-5 hours talking with friends over coffee.  There's never the sense of urgency that you find in America.  I think that if I spent 4 hours at a table in an American cafe' they'd probably call the police :)

6.  I also heard a rumor that you're a pretty vicious gamer… is that true?
Haha I do enjoy a good video game occasionally.  Ok, much more than occasionally but I try to stay focused on my studies.


7.  What's your favorite game?
Tomb Raider, hands down.  Lara Croft is a badass!  Desperately waiting for the new one to come out.

8.  Who inspires your style?
I love skimming through fashion blogs… Chriselle Lim on YouTube is great, but there are so many.  I also have some friends from school that I pick up fashion tips from.  Zagreb is a pretty stylish city.


9.  Top 3 favorite articles of clothing in your wardrobe?
Right now?  The blue maxi-dress I just bought at Mina last week.  It's so comfortable and definitely a must-have!  I also love the semi-transparent blouse I got from Mina as well.  It goes with everything and I can wear it as a casual piece or for dress.  And of course, the Alexander Wang Strappy Bag I got for Christmas this year! :)

10.  What do love about shopping at Mina Miami Beach?
It's so easy.  You don't have to dig through a thousand racks just to find that one special thing.  It's like having a personal shopper who picks out all the hottest styles and fashion, and then puts them in your closet.  Of course, it's always tasteful, and the prices are incredibly low.  My boyfriend never wants me to shop anywhere else, and really, why would I?


11.  What advice would you give to young girls today?
Everyone is beautiful in their own unique way and you should never let anyone tell you any differently.
Believe in yourself, and remember that at the end of the day, we're always our own worst enemies.  Oh, and of course, don't forget to harness your inner Lara Croft badass from time to time.  :)

16 comments:

  1. She is adorable!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowowowow she looks amazing! Love the style as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's kinda sexy that she is into video games.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mina looks great, love the outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mina has great taste in woman and clothing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 10's across the board! Congrats Lori! Great stuff, Mina!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want that Green Dress in small. Going to email Mina now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me at "Oh, and of course, don't forget to harness your inner Lara Croft badass from time to time. "

    ReplyDelete
  9. That long blue dress is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy with all the girls Mina has chosen to represent their store. They are all so different and beautiful in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Come check out the top clubs in Miami, and get a peak at up coming performers presented by the Miami Nightlife Scenery.miami nightlife

    ReplyDelete